- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zuchinni, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, re-hydrated, drained
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 slice bread, softened in 1/8 cup milk, drained
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Sun-dried Tomato Gravy
- 1/4 cup drippings from meatloaf
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 pint half & half
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, re-hydrated
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
Southerner’s love their tomato gravy. It is so good served with biscuits, grits or this meatloaf.
- Put chopped onion, roasted red bell pepper, sun-dried tomatoes in food processor and process together or chop all very fine.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil to cast iron skillet, add vegetable mixture and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add chopped garlic; saute 1 minute.
- Add ground round, mozzarella cheese, eggs, bread, spices, and vegetable mixture into a bowl and mix until well blended.
- Spray loaf pan with cooking spray and press meat mixture into pan.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees, pouring off fat as necessary and reserving drippings for gravy.
- In food processor, combine half & half and sun-dried tomatoes. process until tomatoes are finely chopped
- Whisk drippings with flour over medium heat in cast iron skillet; keep whisking until color of copper penny.
- Pour milk mixture into the flour mixture and whisk until thickened.
- Add tomato paste, whisk until blended.
- Add spices.
- Serve over meatloaf and biscuits.
Note: Leftovers great as a meatloaf sandwich.