- 1 can white beans and/or 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 pound turkey Italian sausages
- 1 large sweet onion; sliced into 1/4" thick slices, halved
- 2 cups chicken broth or chicken stock
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded, cut into strips 1/2" wide
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 1-29 ounce can whole tomatoes with juices
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch Kale leaves, thick stems removed or use spinach leaves, fresh or frozen
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 small cheesecloth bag or loose tea holder containing:
- 10 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 3 sprigs parsley
My dear lifelong friend Sherry gave me this delicious, healthy stew recipe. It is really quick to put together and then all you have to do is simmer for 45-60 minutes. We love to serve it with a slice of cornbread. The first time I prepared this recipe I really wondered if my husband would like it or not. He is not very fond of kale but to my surprise, he LOVED it.
- Use a 8 quart heavy bottomed stew pot over medium high heat, warm olive, add sausages and brown on all sides until golden.
- Remove sausage with tongs and transfer to a dish & slice into 1/2 ” pieces; set aside.
- Place onion slices in pot & saute until soft about 8-10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth or stock, then add bell pepper, butternut squash, tomatoes, sausage slices, thyme, cayenne, beans, cloth bag, Kale or spinach.
- simmer 45-60 minutes
- Remove cloth bag before serving.
Source: Tome Ager