- 2 small bib lettuce, torn
- 1 pound fresh spinach, torn
- 2 oranges, peeled, sectioned and seeded
- 1/2 medium size purple onion, sliced, and separated
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 1 tsp. dry mustard
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. grated orange peel
- 1 tsp. onion grated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
Want your guest to rave about a salad? This is the one that will get you those compliments…… I serve it with a variety of dishes.
- Place first four ingredients in a salad bowl.
- Saute walnuts in butter until brown.
- Before serving, toss all of the above with Sweet and Sour Dressing.
Sweet and Sour Dressing: (makes 1 – 3/4 cups)
- Combine paprika, celery seed, dry mustard, salt, grated orange peel, grated onion, sugar, vegetable oil, and white vinegar in a jar.
- Cover and shake.
- Chill several hours shaking occasionally.
Note: To save time, buy mixed greens of your choice in your produce section and a can of mandarin oranges in lieu of fresh oranges.