- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup coarsely walnuts, chopped for garnish
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. Kahlua liqueur
- 1 cup butter
- 8 (1-ounce) unsweetened chocolate squares, chopped
- 5 large eggs
- 3 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup dark roast instant coffee
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
A great Valentine’s gift…
- Soak 1 cup toasted walnuts in Kahlua for 4-6 hours. Drain, discarding Kahlua.
- Melt butter and chocolate in a heave saucepan or double boiler over low heat.
- Beat eggs, sugar, and instant coffee with an electric mixer 7-8 minutes.
- Gradually add chocolate mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- Add 1 tbsp. Kahlua, flour and salt, beating until blended.
- Stir in the 1 cup of Kahlua infused walnuts.
- Pour into a lightly greased aluminum foil-lined 13×9 inch pan.
- Top with 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
- Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack. Cut into squares, sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
Note: I sometimes soak walnuts overnight in the refrigerator so they will be ready when I am the next day.