- 2 pounds, medium size raw shrimp
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tbsps. olive oil
- 1/3cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-oz) can chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsps. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- 1 (16-oz) container fresh crabmeat, drained and flaked
- 5 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
When there is not enough time to prepare Gumbo, this is a quick, great alternative dish. To save even more time, use 1 – 1/2 cups of the frozen seasoning blend in place of the onion, bell pepper, and celery. Serve this dish with a salad and French bread and you are good to go!
- Peel shrimp; devein.
- Melt butter with oil in a large Dutch oven over medium – high heat.
- Stir in flour and cook stirring constantly for 5 minutes or until caramel colored.
- Add chopped onion, green pepper, and celery.
- Cook stirring constantly for 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add minced garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Stir in chicken broth, white wine, and next 6 ingredients and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes.
- Add shrimp, cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
- Stir in crabmeat; cook, stirring often, until thoroughly heated.
- Serve over rice, garnish with chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley if desired.
Note: I always have shrimp in my freezer so I often cook this recipe without the crabmeat and just use 3 pounds of shrimp — still delicious.