- 1-3/4 cups coarsely broken pecans
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teasponns baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coarsely broken pecans
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
I recently purchased a lovely cookbook at the thrift store Mad About Muffins by Dot Vartan. Each page is filled with wonderful muffins recipes and beautiful illustrations by Shelly Reeves Smith. I sat by my fireplace and looked at all 128 pages and couldn’t wait to try my hand at one of her recipe’s. The Chunky Pecan Muffins, was my first choice and let me tell you, DELICIOUS! Now let me see, will my next choice be Key Lime, Wine & Cheese or Boston Brown Bread? So many great recipe’s and so many decisions!
If you love baking muffins, I highly suggest searching for this book.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Toast 2 cups of the chopped pecans in the oven for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and allspice.
- Stir in 1-3/4 cups of the toasted pecans.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup brown sugar, butter, milk, maple syrup, egg, and vanilla extract.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add the butter mixture; stir until blended.
- Fill greased muffin tins. (I used paper liners)
- Sprinkle top of muffins with a topping made by mixing 2 tablespoons brown sugar and the remainder of the toasted pecans.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until tester inserted into a muffin comes out clean.
Source: Dot Vartan – Mad about Muffins