- 2-1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 (15.25 oz ) can corn, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can corn, drained
- 1 (14.5 oz) can cut green beans, drained
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chicken broth(or your home made Chicken stock from our DIY)
- 1 pint half-and-half
- 1 tbsp dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Sylvia's Perfect Pie Crust (see recipe in DIY) or
- 1 (12 oz) can refrigerated biscuits
When I was growing up one of my very best childhood friends was and still is Betty Jane. We were inseparable. We did everything together from romping in the wood’s to attending dancing lessons together. I laugh to this day thinking what “Tom Boys” we were at times and then we would transform into these frilly little girls at dance class.
One of my favorite Christmas memories was when my mother and Martha (Betty Jane’s mother) made us matching Barbie and Ken clothes. I am talking about 15 -20 different outfits, intricately sewn to perfection. Both our mother’s were fantastic seamstress’s. We would climb up in the cedar tree in our front yard and play Barbie’s, changing their outfit’s for every occasion that we invented for them to attend, for hours and hours. I wonder how many hours it took our mom’s to sew those outfits? Wow, what patience they had…..
Well, back to this recipe…. Martha, made the most AWESOME chicken pot pie and cornbread that I have EVER put in my mouth. Until the day she passed away, I would beg her to make both for me every time I saw her. I never got to learn from her, but this recipe from Paula Deen’s magazine, is pretty close to her pot pie. For me, it’s one of those dishes that brings back many wonderful childhood memories. I wonder, is that why it is called a comfort food?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Combine potatoes and carrots with enough water to cover in a Dutch oven. Bring to boil and cook for 8 minutes. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine cooked potatoes and carrots, corn, green beans, and chicken. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, and cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add chicken broth and half-and-half, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, for 7 minutes, or until thickened.
- Stir in parsley, salt, and pepper.
- Pour butter mixture over vegetable mixture, tossing gently to combine.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Roll out pie crust into a rectangle and cut into 1″ to 1-1/2″ strips with a pizza cutter. Lay strips lengthwise placing about 2′ apart. Apply crosswise, going over and under the lengthwise strips to make a basket weave pattern.
- Brush egg wash over the crust.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake 20-30 minutes or until brown.
Note: If using biscuits, separate biscuits, and place evenly on top of casserole. proceed with steps 10 & 11.