- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds of stew meat
- 1 large yellow onion; halved, then sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2-8 oz packages of sliced portabella mushrooms
- 2 cloves of garlic; minced
- 1/2 cup red wine or red cooking wine
- 2 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1-14.4 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian paprika
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
I love to cook, but working a full time job, there are weeknights that I am just too tired to get into the kitchen and prepare our evening meal. Having my slow cooker has saved many-a-night’s dinner or having to serve a grilled cheese sandwich (not that there is anything wrong with a grilled cheese sandwich). The only drawback here is knowing in advance that you will have one of those days so you can throw everything together the night before or that morning. There is such a peace about the whole day just knowing your dinner will be done when you get home, and WOW, nothing like the smell when you walk in the door. This dish is easy, quick to prepare and my husband gave it the thumbs up. I love it when that happens. If I have to leave too early, I prepare the ingredients the night before and then just plop it all in the slow cooker the next morning.
I have to talk about the spices in this recipe that I purchased at the beautiful spice shop SPICES AND TEASE during my recent trip to NYC. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS SHOP. I swear I was like a little kid in a candy store or on Christmas morning. They have 50 pure spices, teas, and blends. It was SOOOO hard to choose 5-6 but you can order on line at www.spicesandtease.com. I suggest that you try a few. I have numerous on my wish, list, hint, hint hint to my family.
- In a cast iron skillet add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Heat over a medium heat. Add stew meat; brown on all sides. Remove meat with a slotted spoon and add to slow cooker.
- Add sliced onion; cook 3-4 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon; add to slow cooker.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 2 tablespoon butter to skillet; add sliced mushrooms brown 3-4 minutes. Add minced garlic; cook 1 minute then add 1/2 cup wine. Cook mixture until heated through. Remove with slotted spoon and add to slow cooker.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to skillet (if needed) and 2 tablespoons flour. Brown flour stirring constantly. Add 1 cup milk, all spices and diced tomatoes. Cook until thickened. Pour over ingredients in slow cooker.
- Set slow cooker to 8 or 10 hour setting.
Note: I serve these tips over rice.